[asterisk-users] Asterisk in the call center - how do you do it?

Norman Franke norman at myasd.com
Thu Mar 6 10:14:08 CST 2008

On Mar 5, 2008, at 5:46 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

> If you are running a call centre (large or small) using Asterisk,
> I'd be
> interested to know how you log your agents in & out:
>
> E.g.
>
>  - Do you use AgentLogin (to force calls onto the agents, perhaps)?
>  - Do you still use AgentCallbackLogin?
>  - If you use AddQueueMember, are you
>     - running it through the agent's phones (i.e. in the dialplan)?
>     - through a manager interface & some software (homebrew or
> otherwise)?
>  - Do you allow agent hot-desking?
>     - if so, how do you determine which agent is logged in at which
> desk at
> what time?
>     - how do you deal with authentication, or don't you bother?
>
> It'd also be useful if you could tell me what version of Asterisk
> you're
> using.
>
> And, finally, a pure fishing expedition:
>
>  - What kind of reporting (if any) do you currently get out of the
> Asterisk,
> and are you happy with it?

We are a medium sided center, I'd guess, mostly inbound.

We don't use the Queue app, since it seemed rather inadequate for us,
so we rolled our own solution that does skills-based routing and
various other enhanced features (all database driven.) Along with a
custom client, we pass custom headers to handle client-server
communication. Any agent can log into any workstation and things just
work, and our app handles authentication of agents. (We also
authenticate the workstations, but that's hard coded into the app.)

As for reporting, again, a totally custom developed system that's an
extension to what we were using with our old phone switch. On top of
that, I've developed a number of web-based applications (using Apache
Tapestry) to slice and dice our data for reporting (mostly
graphically) that we use a lot. Since it's all quite specific to how
we work and our custom solutions, it wouldn't help anyone, I'm sure.

Norman Franke
Answering Service for Directors, Inc.
www.myasd.com