[asterisk-users] Polycom IP600 + PC share same switch port withVLAN

James Sneeringer jsneerin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:08:34 CST 2008

Glad it worked for you. The warning is normal for Cisco switches.
Basically, the "portfast" setting disables Spanning Tree (802.1d &
friends) negotiation for the ports. It is only dangerous if you
actually connect that port to another bridging device that could
potentially have an alternate layer-2 path back to the switch (i.e. a
loop).

In the case of your Polycom phones, it is completely safe. It would
only be unsafe if you connected both ports of your phone (the uplink
*and* PC ports) into the switch, which you are unlikely to do. It's up
to you, of course. Without portfast, you're looking at about 30
seconds for STP to negotiate whenever the port bounces, during which
time higher layer protocols are unavailable. This may interfere with
CDP and DHCP, if you're using those.

-James