[asterisk-users] Problem between Asterisk and an Aastra 57i

Gleim, Jason jgleim at ats-ohio.com
Wed Mar 5 13:06:10 CST 2008

Stefan,

There are a couple of things you'll want to look at but I would
seriously recommend setting it back to factory default and starting
over. This ensures the settings I don't mention below (a couple you have
changed) are reset to factory.

If there is a specific reason to have different extensions appear on
different buttons, use the Line configuration for each button. However,
if the phone is only handling a single extension, put the settings in
the Global SIP section. In that section (or in the Line X sections) the
only things you need are:
- Screen name: What will show on the phone when it is idle
- Authentication Name: This is what you have setup in Asterisk as the
extension. Usually this is the numeric extension number.
- Password: The secret for this extension in Asterisk
- Proxy server: Asterisk's IP address
- Proxy Port: 5060
- Registrar Server: Asterisk's IP
- Registrar Port: 5060

You can obviously change the IP if you don't want to use DHCP... I
assume you can handle that. Everything else should work with factory
defaults.

Also, I have noticed that if the phone must go thru a firewall to reach
the Asterisk server, you may need to have 'Send MAC Address in REGISTER
Message' turned ON in the Global SIP settings. A router I was using at
home prevented a 57i from connecting until I turned that option on.

Finally, the guys at NerdVittles (http://nerdvittles.com/) just named
the 57i their favorite Asterisk phone. (I agree with them) They have
some great config scripts that plug into TrixBox and PBX in a Flash
systems that will download the proper config to the phone via TFTP. You
just set the TFTP address in the phone and put the MAC address into the
server and go... the scripts do the rest and config the phone with the
most common settings. You may want to check that out as well.

Hope that helps!
Jason