[asterisk-users] PPP dialout via * server

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Tue Mar 4 12:05:51 CST 2008

Greg Woods wrote:

> The problem is that PPP dialout does not work; pppd eventually fails
> with "NO CARRIER". Dialout works fine if I connect the modem straight
> through to the wall plate, the problem only happens when the modem is
> connected through Asterisk and the Digium card. The same modem and
> connection through which faxing works fine. (For completeness, I also
> tried the dialout via the Teliax line, but that didn't work either; I
> didn't really expect that it would).

Modem usage for data mode is quite substantially different that for FAX
mode; for one, FAX mode is always half-duplex transmission, which
drastically reduces the complexity of the audio signals. In addition,
data mode frequently wants to use bit rates of 14.4kbps (or higher)
where FAX is generally able to work well at 9.6kbps and lower.

In short, it is not likely that you will be able to accomplish what you
want using an analog interface card, and you may not be able to do it at
all, even using a digital interface card and a channel bank.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies