[asterisk-users] Switchvox feedback

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Mar 3 17:00:05 CST 2008

On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 4:35 PM, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a customer that wants to get switchvox, since I have never used
>  it, I would like to hear some feedback from active users of switchvox.
>  In specific:
>  1. Does it use realtime or conf files
>  2. Is it possible to change it manually?
>  3. Is SSH access to login to console/shell available?
>  4. Are you or your customers happy with the user interface?
>
>  TIA

First of all SwitchVox is a GREAT product.

Second, I would boot to G4U and make a bit level clone of your system
and dump that off on the network somewhere before messing around.

I beleive (and I could be wrong) that it uses conf files.  Anything is
possible.  At bootup select a and add single to get to # prompt.
Either add a new user or change root's password.  I do no think that
root is enabled to login via SSH.  I just installed webmin (I love
webmin) on mine and took back the control that was "locked down".

To that end, I don't see why you would be locked to Digium hardware
either since you could log in as root and install other
manuafacturer's patches or Drivers.  Updating might be painful down
the road though.

Also, peek around for any phone home scripts or OpenVPN, I am not
saying there are any, I am just curious since I do not have access to
any SwitchVox boxen anymore.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro