[asterisk-users] Newbie on VoIP

NOC Ph nocph at aol.com
Sun Mar 2 20:14:02 CST 2008

Hi Guys,

I'm new in VoIP, I heard from a friend that asterisk is good in VoIP service
especially on SIP. I'm planning to replace our old PBX system (legacy of
Panasonic) to VoIP so that even out of the country we can still communicate
cheaper than regular phone. But I have a few questions though before I
change our OLD PBX to VoIP.

1.  Does asterisk generate CDR? If yes how do I see it or generate it?
Because I have to monitor people who's calling overseas.

2.  How do I secure it? Co'z I have to open it via Public IP. Can I know the
port asterisk used assuming I'll use SIP.

3.  If it run on linux, it run will on BSD but I read from google that it
has specific version for BSD. Can I know what version are for FreeBSD?

This questions might annoyed experts. Please bear with me...

Thank you.

nocph