[asterisk-users] Number portability in other parts of the world.

randulo spamsucks2005 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 10:30:56 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Alexander Lopez <Alex.Lopez at opsys.com> wrote:
> Are phone numbers portable in other countries?

Recent legislation in France (and perhaps this means the EU?) have made it so.

> Are the same rules and conditions that exist here in the States mirrored
> elsewhere?
>

> How does a person in Europe go fully VoIP and still keep the main number?

This is exactly what we are in the process of doing. We have asked our
provider to port our main phone number to their ipbx. I have used the
same people for IAX origination/termination so I presume that if we
don't like the ipbx we can go back to asterisk here or hosted and they
will be handling those calls.

It can't be said enough how important it is for a business to control
the destiny of its phone numbers. I feel these should be possible to
handle like domain names where you can buy one for life by renewing
it. Not quite the case today, but we get the same effect by paying a
fee each time we need to port the number.