[asterisk-users] Asterisk with Nextone using H323

Chris Ziomkowski cziom at jsg.co.th
Tue Jun 24 22:39:34 CDT 2008

The meaning of  "softswitch" in the Nextone is that it will try and use
whatever protocol the corresponding Ingress/Egress side is set for. That
means, if you place/receive a call from/to Asterisk, and route to an
endpoint doing SIP, the Nextone will expect Asterisk to speak SIP. If
you place/receive a call to/from an endpoint using H.323, it will expect
Asterisk to speak H.323.

When you use "softswitch", the Nextone is much more forgiving about what
it passes through also, expecting that your softswitch on the far side
will take care of the issues.

If you only want to use H.323 with Asterisk, you should configure it as
an H.323 gateway. Why are you trying to set "softswitch"?

That is how all of our systems are configured with Asterisk and ooh323.
Works very well and very stable.

Chris