[asterisk-users] Chef-secretary scenario

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Jun 24 11:54:32 CDT 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Vazquez David wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to implement such a scenario where the "Chef" picks up his
> phone and his "secretary" can see that he is busy. Something like blf, I
> guess.

It's like BLF because that's exactly what it's for..

> But so far I've only managed to notify the "secretary" that the
> "chef" is receiving a call. I want to do it the other way around
> though.  I'd like for her to see in her phone, the light corresponding
> to the "chef"'s extension light up whenever he uses the phone (also when
> he picks it up if that's possible).  So she should always know when he's
> busy.

> Is there a way to do that?

Yes. Configure hints in asterisk and BLF in the secretarys phone.

I don't understand how you get notifications one way, but not the other
though (unless you're doing it by not using BLF)

What phones have you got? What do your hints look like in the
extensions.conf file?

You can't get the status of lifting the handset on a SIP phone though
(well, not that I'm aware of)

However, if it's an analogue phone on a TDM400 card (or equivalent, I
guess) then it does work and the BLF LED on my Grandstream phone turns Red
as soon as I take the analogue phone off-hook...

So BLF is what you want, and optionally an analogue phone +TDM card for
the boss...

Gordon