[asterisk-users] Asterisk and remote phone.

Tariq .. tareksawah at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 23 04:39:29 CDT 2008

i think what you have is a Codec problem.. i have faced similar problem with a remote phone when internet was not able to carry G711 "which is used by defaul" so chage your codecs to G723 or GSM and it will work fine..

From: fgarcia at systeamusa.comTo: asterisk-users at lists.digium.comDate: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 15:17:01 -0400Subject: [asterisk-users] Asterisk and remote phone.

Hi everyone!

I have been reading for a couple of days online in order to setup a remote phone, but no luck so far. The remote phone registers and I can call extensions, but the call only lasts 19-21 seconds before it drops (when I call from remote phone). When someone calls the remote phone we cannot hear each other.

The scenario is de following:

Office-Router configuration:
-Ports being forwarded to Asterisk
-UDP = 5060-UDP = 5004-UDP = 5060-5065 (configured range on rpc.conf first)

House
-Westell Modem configured as IP-Passthrough. In other words, the phone has a static public IP address.

Phone:
-STUN Server configured. I also had to configured symmetrical RTP because on the other side they couldn’t hear me. The call only lasts 18-21 seconds until it drops.

Asterisk Configuration Files:
-I configured external and lan IP.-Enabled NAT for the remote extension.

What am I missing? Why is it that I can call from remote phone and hear the person, but they cannot hear me. When the office calls the house we cannot hear each other.

Today I configured Asterisk with a public IP address and the home phone work just fine. However, I do think think this is the best setup because having Asterisk expose to the internet is not a good idea. I want to be able to have remote phones with Asterisk behind a router (private IP address).

Thanks in advance.

Fidel Garcia
System Engineer

sysTeam.
7205 NW 19th Street, Suite 302Miami, Florida 33126

Email: fgarcia at systeamusa.com