[asterisk-users] Asterisk and remote phone.

Fidel Garcia fgarcia at systeamusa.com
Fri Jun 20 14:17:01 CDT 2008

Hi everyone!

I have been reading for a couple of days online in order to setup a remote
phone, but no luck so far. The remote phone registers and I can call
extensions, but the call only lasts 19-21 seconds before it drops (when I
call from remote phone). When someone calls the remote phone we cannot hear
each other.

The scenario is de following:

Office
-Router configuration:

-Ports being forwarded to Asterisk

-UDP = 5060
-UDP = 5004
-UDP = 5060-5065 (configured range on rpc.conf first)

House

-Westell Modem configured as IP-Passthrough. In other words, the phone has a
static public IP address.

Phone:

-STUN Server configured. I also had to configured symmetrical RTP because on
the other side they couldn't hear me. The call only lasts 18-21 seconds
until it drops.

Asterisk Configuration Files:

-I configured external and lan IP.
-Enabled NAT for the remote extension.

What am I missing? Why is it that I can call from remote phone and hear the
person, but they cannot hear me. When the office calls the house we cannot
hear each other.

Today I configured Asterisk with a public IP address and the home phone work
just fine. However, I do think think this is the best setup because having
Asterisk expose to the internet is not a good idea. I want to be able to
have remote phones with Asterisk behind a router (private IP address).

Thanks in advance.

Fidel Garcia

System Engineer

sysTeam.