[asterisk-users] Interesting Directory Behaviour (not)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Jun 19 16:16:55 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 03:49:01PM -0500, Tilghman Lesher wrote:

> > > The issue is that the 4th digit is actually interrupting the playback of
> > > the name, which is why they're not hearing it.  Simple training issue.
> >
> > Or alternatively, you could play the name with DTMF-cut-through
> > disabled, assuming that's not down inside C code...
>
> That's a non-starter.  Power users like to be able to interrupt prompts and
> press '1' immediately when they are sure that they've got the right person.
> Changing it now would be considered a regression to many.

Or, alternatively, you could play the first $USERCONF milliseconds of the name
with DTMF-cut-through disabled.

This is akin to modal dialogs that pop up with the default button
disabled for $LONGER-THAN-THE-AVERAGE-HUMAN-REACTION-TIME so that you
don't keep on typing from whatever window you were previously in, and
accidentally hit the "Yes, delete all my files and kill my wife" [OK]
button by typing <ENTER> before you figure out what happened.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)