[asterisk-users] Astricon question: four or five tracks?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Jun 13 10:56:14 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 08:52:27PM -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> I was very surprised that presentations were not video taped or at the
> least recorded at the last Astricon.
>
> I agree with Matt, choosing between even different topics or tracks
> can be difficult let alone similar topics.
>
> Recording almost seems like a no brainer, this is Asterisk after all.
> All attendees could probably cough up a little extra for the DVD if
> need be.  It could also be sold I guess, but I would rather see the
> videos on YouTube or AsteriskTV or whatever free outlet.

It's probably worth looking at the history of other large national
technical conventions like Usenix and NANOG; Usenix makes proceedings
available on line for free, and NANOG, the actual video recordings of
the talks.

The customary appraisal seems to be that this doesn't significantly
affect the number of paid attendees, because there are many worthwhile
advantages to physically attending the conference which you don't get
from merely viewing the panel sessions on tape.

Doing it is, admittedly, a non-trivial exercise... but it's a lot less
difficult now than it used to be.

Worth considering (he says, knowing that he won't be able to talk the
boss into sending him... :-)

Cheers,
- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.