[asterisk-users] g729 open source codec and sample size

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Jun 10 14:32:15 CDT 2008

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Bruce McAlister wrote:

> Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand why people won't pay $10/channel for a fully
>> licensed, legal, and Asterisk supported G729 codec.
>
> I wish I could use $10/channel G729 codec from Digium, however, I've
> been trying to get that codec working on Solaris since v32 of that
> codec. The codec fails to load no matter what I do, and troubleshooting
> information from Digium (and the lists) is severly lacking. I do
> understand that it is unsupported, however, I wonder if the people who
> build the codec have successfully loaded the module within asterisk on
> Solaris themselves. If I can get this working we would be buying the
> digium codes without any questions at all.

And of-course some countries don't honour software patents anyway. This
may or may not be right in various peoples eyes, but that's the way it is.

It's also nice to have a try before you buy too.

And there might just be a case where you can't connect an asterisk box to
the public Internet to register the licenses (I had that with HPEC some
time back)

Nothing to stop people wanting to clear their conscious by using the
"free" one and paying for Digium licenses of-course, even if they're not
actually used..

> Just my 0.02c

Euro cents going by the email address :)

Gordon