[asterisk-users] Interoffice phone setup

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Jun 10 10:41:00 CDT 2008

Asterisk gets very upset if it can't lookup the host name associated
with every IP on the system, normally it would use DNS to do this, but
since your Internet connection was down it could not do that.  You
should look at /etc/hosts on the Asterisk machine and make sure that
each IP address of the system is listed and a name associated with it.
You may have the change the order of the items in /etc/nsswitch to make
sure "file" is consulted before "dns".

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> The exact question pose I must leave for others to answer.
>>
>> However, I recently completed a project that overcomes the situation
>> you describe. I installed a cellular gateway giving me a wireless
>> trunk. If I lose IP connectivity I can route calls out through my cell
>> carrier. Works really well.
>
> Appreciate the quick response! What I am concerned about is that there are maybe two problems:)
> Is that behavior at least normal? I don't want to wait until start of business to find out connectivity is up
> but phones aren't.
>
> Just seems odd.
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near
Birmingham, AL.  Now accepting clients worldwide.