[asterisk-users] Interoffice phone setup

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Mon Jun 9 18:13:21 CDT 2008

On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 17:00:50 -0600, Joseph L. Casale wrote:

>>The exact question pose I must leave for others to answer.
>>
>>However, I recently completed a project that overcomes the situation
>>you describe. I installed a cellular gateway giving me a wireless
>>trunk. If I lose IP connectivity I can route calls out through my cell
>>carrier. Works really well.
>
>Appreciate the quick response! What I am concerned about is that there are maybe two problems:)
>Is that behavior at least normal? I don't want to wait until start of business to find out connectivity is up
>but phones aren't.
>
>Just seems odd.

In my case I have a local Asterisk server, but I also use a hosted
remote IP-PBX for some things.

If I lost connectivity to the hosted service, and had no other inhouse
PBX, then things get pretty bleak. About all you can do is direct dial
by IP or SIP URI between phones inside the LAN. People often lose sight
of the fact that you can make connections directly between phones by IP
or SIP URI. Sometimes with a little internal DNS fiddling this can be
as convenient as email.

If you have your own Asterisk server (or other PBX) in-house and you
lost your SIP trunk then you have more flexibility. Your internal
diaplan should provide for internal service already.

What type of PBX hardware do you have on-site? Also what make/models of
phones?

Michael
--
Michael Graves