[asterisk-users] Fax on FXS

Matt Watson matt at mattgwatson.ca
Mon Jun 9 17:53:34 CDT 2008

On June 9, 2008 01:34:31 pm Eric "ManxPower" Wieling wrote:
> You should not expect FaxOverVoiceOverIPOverInternet to work well.  If
> you stick to ulaw codec for the entire call, it might work well enough
> for your use, but it might not.

Just as an FYI - you have too many "Over"'s in your description....

FaxOverVoiceOverIP would make sense, but seeing as how "IP" is short
for "Internet Protocol", saying "Internet Protocol Over Internet" doesn;t
make much sense...

I would interpret that description as somebody trying to send a fax through a
VoIP system using a voice-codec like G.711

However, there is the T.38 protocol which is designed to solve this exact
problem, Asterisk support for it is just rather limited currently (pass-thru
only).

T.38 often gets referred to as FoIP (Fax over Ineternet Protocol)

--
Matt Watson
http://www.mattgwatson.ca