[asterisk-users] Asterisk On Public IP

Raj Jain rj2807 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 06:14:44 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Sanjoy Rath <sanjoy_rath at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Asterisk. I want friends to connect to my asterisk server
> from their SIP Phones are talk to me. I have tried two ways 1.) Have the
> Asterisk server run within the firewall, opened all the ports for that
> server in firewall port forwarding, does not work (One way audio issue). I
> have heard many thing about NAT issue etc. I have taken care of all the
> issues as suggested, never worked for me.

This actually works. Try putting your Asterisk server in the DMZ as a
test, if you think you've 'nat=yes', 'canreinvite=no' etc.
configuration flags set right.

> Then I connected the linux server (asterisk server) directly to the internet
> (no firewall in between). The SIP phones would not connect to the server. It
> give 408 error.

You're probably not receiving INVITEs in your Asterisk server. Setting
'sip set debug' on the console or Wireshark capture can prove this.
One possibility is that the INVITEs are reaching your server but they
are being blocked by SE-Linux (ip-tables) from reaching to your
Asterisk application.

--
Raj Jain