[asterisk-users] bad call quality

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 14:57:51 CDT 2008

Hi Edd -

> I run a couple of asterisk servers all connecting
> to international sip providers.
> All three servers are on the same type of internet connection
> (Martis/Diginet).
> There isnt a shortage of bandwidth, and its not a codec issue, as ive
> tried swapping codecs.
> If its not a line issue, because if i route the calls via sip via
> another server(which i own)(in same country) and then break out from
> there i get good quality, but im paying for triple bandwidth then, and
> bandwidth in south Africa is hellishly expensive.
> The Physical hardware is not overloaded either.
> I have tried rebooting my equipment, and that changed nothing either.
>  if i do a ping flood i get decent results(well, only about 10ms more
> than another perfectly working branch)
>
> What else could this Be?
> Im completely Dumbstruck.

Is there any other non-VoIP traffic using the same internet connection
as the asterisk server?  If so, this could very well be a QoS issue.
You can get some nasty sounding calls even on a very fat internet
connection if there is no QoS.  One of my clients has a 100mb fiber
connection to the internet, and we had to really fine tune their Cisco
routers in order to get usable VoIP calls to their branch offices.

I've also seen internet connections that are just very poor, and no
amount of internal QoS can fix this.

What kind of routing equipment are you using?

- Noah