[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Wed Jun 4 13:32:13 CDT 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 03:00:01AM +1000, Rob Hillis wrote:
>
>> Brent Davidson wrote:
>>
>>> We're currently using Asterisk 1.4.19, Zaptel 1.4.10,
>>> Oslec SVN,  Rhino R4FXO-EC cards, and Snom 300 Phones.
>>>
>> Why on earth are you running two layers of echo cancellation - hardware
>> and software?  To be honest, I think this is asking for trouble - I've
>> seen two occasions where having Oslec and hardware echo cancellation has
>> caused significant problems with audio quality - the usual symptoms are
>> gaps in the conversation as the hardware cancellation eliminates the
>> majority of the echo and the software cancellation subsequently
>> eliminates parts of the conversation.
>>

> If you use a hardware EC (or technically: a span-specific echo
> cancellation method) the generic Zaptel echo canceller (software-based,
> OSLEC in this case) will not be used.

Is there any indication of this in Zaptel?    This is the output of my
ztcfg -vv:

Zaptel Version: 1.4.10
Echo Canceller: Oslec
Configuration

Channel map:

Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
Channel 02: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 02)

2 channels to configure.

I removed Oslec when I first installed the R4FXO-EC cards, but echo was
terrible and made the calls unusable.  My gut instinct is telling me
that my hardware echo cancellation is not working.

Thanks,
Brent