[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4.20.1 with bad gsm file playback

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Tue Jun 3 23:33:38 CDT 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 23:06:28 Matt Riddell wrote:
> Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:12:58 Todd Reese wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm stumped on this and I looking for some clues to fix this.
> >>

> >> This is a new install of Slackware 12.1  onto an IBM x330 Server.
> >>
> >> Asterisk 1.4.20.1 plays the wav files and the Cepstral_Allison Swift
> >> just fine, but when I play the gsm files the audio quite choppy.  And,
> >> the files produced from the MixMonitor don't even record any audio other
> >> than noise.
> >>

> >> I have a hard drive from a previous install of Slackware 12.0 and
> >> Asterisk ~1.4.18 that I've swapped out and everything runs fine.  Also,
> >> I've got an x335 with Asterisk 1.4.19 that is also running just fine.
> >>

> >> Any clues where to start looking to resolve this?
> >
> > Set DONT_OPTIMIZE in the compiler options (make menuselect).  If this
> > causes the chop to go away, we know exactly what the problem is:  an
> > optimization bug in gcc 4.2/4.3.
>
> Alternatively do:
>
> export CC=gcc-4.1
> export CXX=gcc-4.1
> ./configure
> make
>
> In Asterisk.
>
> I've done three installs in the past week where I had this problem (all
> with gcc version 4.2.3 (Debian 4.2.3-5)) and the above fixed it no problem.
>
> I didn't really want to compile with DONT_OPTIMIZE (although this fixes
> it too).
>
> The bug entry (http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11243) has been closed
> because it was thought that the problem was resolved.

Well, the issue is that some enterprising person needs to track down exactly
which optimization in gcc is causing this problem and point it out to them.
We've filed a bug report with them, but without more specific information,
their developers aren't going to track it down, either.  So it's kind of a
stalemate for the time being.

--
Tilghman