[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.4.20.1 with bad gsm file playback

Matt Riddell matt at venturevoip.com
Tue Jun 3 23:06:28 CDT 2008

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 June 2008 10:12:58 Todd Reese wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm stumped on this and I looking for some clues to fix this.
>>

>> This is a new install of Slackware 12.1  onto an IBM x330 Server.
>>
>> Asterisk 1.4.20.1 plays the wav files and the Cepstral_Allison Swift just
>> fine, but when I play the gsm files the audio quite choppy.  And, the files
>> produced from the MixMonitor don't even record any audio other than noise.
>>

>> I have a hard drive from a previous install of Slackware 12.0 and Asterisk
>> ~1.4.18 that I've swapped out and everything runs fine.  Also, I've got an
>> x335 with Asterisk 1.4.19 that is also running just fine.
>>

>> Any clues where to start looking to resolve this?
>
> Set DONT_OPTIMIZE in the compiler options (make menuselect).  If this causes
> the chop to go away, we know exactly what the problem is:  an optimization bug
> in gcc 4.2/4.3.

Alternatively do:

export CC=gcc-4.1
export CXX=gcc-4.1
./configure
make

In Asterisk.

I've done three installs in the past week where I had this problem (all
with gcc version 4.2.3 (Debian 4.2.3-5)) and the above fixed it no problem.

I didn't really want to compile with DONT_OPTIMIZE (although this fixes
it too).

The bug entry (http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11243) has been closed
because it was thought that the problem was resolved.

- --
Kind Regards,

Matt Riddell
Director