[asterisk-users] ast_compile_ael2: Warning: file /etc/asterisk/extensions.ael, line 932-932: Empty Extension!

Steve Murphy murf at digium.com
Tue Jun 3 09:32:43 CDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 22:15 +0200, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> On starting Asterisk (1.4) I get a whole bunch of
> WARNING[5858]: pbx_ael.c:4040 ast_compile_ael2: Warning: file /etc/asterisk/extensions.ael, line 932-932: Empty Extension!
>
> I find it a bit disturbing that this message has a level of WARNING
> (instead of NOTICE maybe) because the extensions in question are
> empty on purpose. The only reason they exist are the hints.
>
> hint(SIP/3000) 3000 => {}
> hint(SIP/4000) 4000 => {}
>
> All the "real" dialplan stuff is in
> _Z. => {
> 	// do something ...
> }
>
> Maybe the error level should be lowered so the user is not mislead
> into thinking something was broken?
> Or is there a way to do it which does not trigger the warnings?
>
> Grüße,
> Philipp Kempgen

Philipp--

I understand your frustration. I inserted this message because,
basically,
in extensions.conf format, you cannot specify an empty extension.

And, in the internally stored dialplan, you cannot have an extension
that
does not have a priority, because the two concepts are bound into one
internally-- a priority and extension are literally stored in the
same struct (ast_exten, iirc).

So, my code prints a warning, and fills in the priority with a call
to NoOp().

Now, in the end, it doesn't matter at all what the internal
representation is,
or what the package is doing deep inside.

So, unless users in general object, I will go ahead and just remove
this warning. What a compiler has to do underneath to make your
code work/palatable is not necessarily of interest to you.

murf

--
Steve Murphy
Software Developer