[asterisk-users] Help with E1s

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Jun 2 15:30:20 CDT 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 15:07, Rizwan Hisham wrote:
> Thanx a lot Tzafrir and Tlighman. But i need to clear some more concepts
> before starting to implement anything.
>
> In ATFOT i read about configuring an analogue pstn line, by configuring
> /etc/zaptel.conf and some other things in etc/asterisk/zapata.conf, that
> was just one line. if I configure the E1 card then ,correct me if im wrong,
> i will have similar 32 channels like that single pstn line in TDM card, The
> only difference will be the number of channels?

No.  As I said before, you will have 30 channels of voice.  Not 32.

> what are b & d channels and whats the difference between them?

Bearer channels can transport voice.  The data channel is used exclusively
for signalling.

> Tilghman..
> Can a 1.2GH machine handle 62 CONCURRENT zap calls?

That would be 60, not 62.  Remember, there are 2 D channels, one for
each circuit.  I provided the 1.2GHz speed as an example of the minimum
you will probably need, as long as you do no transcoding, conferencing, or
other tasks which would up the CPU load.  If you do either of those tasks
(or the myriad of other tasks, like running a database on the same machine),
you will need more CPU.  And given that a 1.2GHz machine is now generally
more expensive than most new machines (which are considerably faster), it
would probably be a wise choice to get the fastest machine for your money.
I don't know what exactly is the sweet point on processors this month, but
it's probably around 2.2GHz dual core.

> If you can provide me a good source where i can find all the necessary
> info then it will be more easier and faster for me.

Froogle?  Pricewatch?

--
Tilghman