[asterisk-users] Help with E1s

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Jun 2 10:28:43 CDT 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008 06:25, Rizwan Hisham wrote:
> I am not a new user of asterisk. I have been working on sip only
> configuration for about 2 years. Now im planning to explore and see how to
> use E1 lines with asterisk. I have read the ATFOT but it talks about the
> TDM cards. I want to install E1 card on asterisk. How do i install and
> configure it. Right now im planning to buy a 2 port E1 card. Can anybody
> help me out on this and show me the right direction?

Generally, only 30 channels of that E1 are usable for voice.  One of the
channels is devoted to timing and another one of the channels is generally
used for signalling.  The channels are usually signalled thusly:

zaptel.conf (upcoming as /etc/dahdi.conf)
bchan=1-15,17-31,33-48,50-62
dchan=16,47

and:

zapata.conf (upcoming as /etc/asterisk/chan_dahdi.conf)
pri_cpe=1-15,17-31,33-48,50-62

The channels are accessible in Asterisk as Zap/1, Zap/2, etc. up to Zap/62.
Note that you MUST keep the gaps for the D channels.

> I have adequate knowledge of E1 lines (32 lines coming in on a single
> wire). How do we separate each line out in asterisk?
> What kind of machine do i need to process 32 calls (or 64 calls incase i
> buy a 2 port E1 card).

Any modern machine should work fine.  Single core, 1.2GHz should handle it
fine, and any extra hardware you throw at it will be gravy.

--
Tilghman