[asterisk-users] need creative solutions for number portability

Eric Fort eric.fort at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 15:09:32 CDT 2008

I'm presently working on an office move and evaluation of telecommunications
services needed at the new location.  I'm presently wrastling with an issue
related to portability and geography between landline carriers.  Presently
certain people within the organization are hopelessly in love with our
909-822-xxxx number(provided by pacbell/att).  As that number is presently
provisioned it rings to a location geographically within 909-822 and
forwards all calls to another number 909-944-xxxx (Verizon)  Because of this
toll is paid on all incomming calls. )  The office is moving to another
verizon area (909-899, actually north fontana) and is just feet from the
ATT/Verizon border.  Verizon tells me the 909-822-xxxx number being held by
ATT can not be moved to ring direct into the new location, so toll charges
for inbound must still be paid.  I was hoping to avoid that.

What are the issues involved here?  Technically with SS7 it would seem a
number could ring anywhere.  my 909 npa cell phone works just fine when on
vacation in 941 or 808 and my 206 VoIP line finds me anywhere I have a
connection to the net.  What prevents this from being true with landlines?
If this is a geograpic vs non-geographic issue then where can I find street
level maps of what wire center serves what area thereby finding where to
locate to be within a specific npa-nxx?  Other than porting the number to
VoIP, what solutions are available so inbound calls incur no toll charges to
the called party?

Eric