[asterisk-users] Cisco vs Asterisk

Stephan Weinberger sweinberger at meteomedia.at
Tue Jul 29 09:25:41 CDT 2008

Am Freitag, 25. Juli 2008 18:54 schrieb Al Baker:

> This is simply NOT TRUE and shows a complete lack of understanding of
> modern software development. CISCO software is developed in a CMM
> environment.
> It has a formal test methodology and uses Automated Testing on EACH new
> release to ensure that 100% of the software that functioned in the Last
> Release, actually works in this release.

This is simply NOT TRUE and shows a complete lack of understanding of software
testing.
Even if a company (or OS developer) implements automatic tests that cover each
and every existing functionality this does NOT automatically ensure, that the
existing functionalty works together well with new features. Nor does it
ensure that existing code does work as intended under NEW circumstances.

Testing (and I mean ANY form of testing, be it automatic or manual) can NEVER
ensure the abscence of bugs!

Additionally: Companies will never even atempt to find any bug. They will
always only try to find as many bugs necessary to ensure that the cost of
maintenance, bug-fixing, compensations and possibly loss of prestige does not
exceed the cost of testing. Anything else would be financial loss.

--
Stephan Weinberger