[asterisk-users] Cisco Call Manager to Asterisk conversion

Chad Whitten cwhitten at metronetsys.com
Sat Jul 26 14:11:43 CDT 2008

Al,

I managed a CCM/Unity setup for more than 5 years and saying that
Asterisk is less reliable is in my experience a stretch.  I will agree
that Cisco makes excellent gateways, routers and switches and their
pstn gateways are top notch but I was never a fan of CCM and
especially Unity.  We were plagued with failures on the Unity server -
mostly because of the use of Microsoft Exchange.

During this same time, I ran Asterisk as a conference bridge,
voicemail server and fax to email server and never had the issues I
had with CCM, and did much more for much less in terms of $ as well.
For the most part, CCM did what it was tasked for, but I think that
Asterisk has reached a point where it can compete at the reliability
level and support can for Asterisk via the open source community and
commercial vendors is acceptable for my needs which is why I am
choosing to switch rather than continue on the upgrade cycle with CCM.

I think Asterisk is the future for the IP-PBX realm, both homegrown
and commercial,  and CCM is a dead end.