[asterisk-users] Cisco vs Asterisk

T G ted at alumni.com
Thu Jul 24 14:01:00 CDT 2008

I'm a CCIE and CCVP. I have worked in the Cisco TSBU on both CCM and
Telepresence systems I have two IP patents for the VoiP Lite protocols
and have been designing and building OSS IPBXs for companies including
Google going back to 2001. I'm not mentioning any of that to be jerk I
mentioned it to say I'm as qualified as anyone to to compare the CCM and
OSS servers. The only fair way to compare the two is a list of weights
features, for example if cost is your biggest feature then OSS is better,
if support is your biggest feature than Cisco wins. When a customer is
comparing the costly (TCO) and best supported systems in the world with
hundreds of thousands installed systems for the large global companies on
the planted backed by 54,000 employees and over $25b in the bank vs, a
FREE system with one layer of support maybe two layers of support, the
features don't even come in the evaluation in my opinion. I once asked a
manager why did you buy the CCM and he said no one ever got fired for
buying Cisco if anything wrong, If push the OSS and it goes I could loose
my job. I would get a list of the important features, because there is no
answer to your question of which is better.