[asterisk-users] Implementing an Asterisk Server behind a MeridianNorstar

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Jul 26 12:06:09 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale at activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>The question you haven't answered yet, Joseph, is "how does your
>>Meridian connect to the PSTN?"
>>
>>Is it a T-1 now, or analog?
>
> Sorry Jay,
> I ended up in an offline conversation with someone regarding this.
> Its on an analogue setup, it has an RJ-21 connector coming from a
> punchdown block next to it.
>
> I think the best way is to use T1 card in the asterisk server and
> connect to the Meridian with a T1 card as well. The Meridian can
> gain a T1 interface relatively cheap.
>
> I'm still hazy on how a user in the Meridian system would dial an extension
> for a voip only user on the asterisk server behind it?
>
> Thanks!
> jlc

I have done dozens and dozens of jobs like this.

You don't want to put Asterisk "behind" the legacy system, you want to
put it in front.  Asterisk goes in between the telco and the legacy
PBX.

If you are getting different advice, then I think the person giving
the advice does not have much experience integrating Asterisk with
legacy systems.  While it "may" work, it is going to be overly complex
and eliminate a huge amount flexibility afforded, than putting
Asterisk in the middle.

Thanks,
Steve T