[asterisk-users] Connect Asterisk PBX to Traditional PBX and retain functionality

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Thu Jul 24 11:02:54 CDT 2008

If I understand you, then yes you can.  I do this now.  All our telco
lines come through our analog NEC phone switch and then through FXO/
FXS ports to my Asterisk. Asterisk handles voicemail and the menu
system so when somebody dials "6" to get my extension the asterisk
does the following:

Flash();
Wait(0.4);
SendDTMF(268);
Hangup();

I added the Wait(0.4) as I found that under heavy load the NEC would
not catch the first DTMF digit after the Flash.  This solution has
worked for us for over a year now.

Some "bonus" information that may or may not be relevant to what you
are doing:

We have a few SIP phones that we needed to be able to do the same kind
of thing.  We couldn't flash transfer to the Asterisk, but in the NEC
I setup a outgoing trunk line (dial 8 to access) that goes to the
Asterisk box.  Then I setup a "forward all calls" on extension 268
(when I have my SIP phone active) to "dial out" to 8268.  That way
when somebody calls my extension it automatically forwards then to
extension 268 on the Asterisk box.

Daniel