[asterisk-users] issue with high latency

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Tue Jul 22 11:09:44 CDT 2008

Jitter is what your describing, it's a bad thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitter

While VoIP may work (third party > 128ms echo cancellers, etc) most
support organization won't go outside ITU-T G.114 recommendations.

I've done Cisco 7940 phones deployed in the Gulf of Mexico on a oil
platform using Callmanager based in US in 2003. The company controlled
the satellite and prioritized voice, ping was 600ms. Worked well except
the local calls were to Venezula which was too expensive per minute from
US.  Two phones ran up more than $1000US in 30 days.