[asterisk-users] ASTERISK/ENSWITCH ON EC2

Robert McNaught asteriskator at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 18:41:28 CDT 2008

Yes, I currently work for a Hosted Service provider - we have a cage
in a datacenter with T1s running into it.  We find it a nightmare
dealing with hardware issues, power outages, ultimately affecting our
customers.  It takes a lot of resource to manage the cluster and keep
it up and running.  Its also majorly expensive paying for T1s every
month and dealing with them going down on occasion - its always the
service provider which gets the blame unfortunately even if its
carrier issues or data center issues, which we have no control over.

We also use server hosting for hosting our back-end and has been
pretty satisfactory - Jaguar PC.

I see that EC2 has had issues, however I doubt they would be any worse
than a skeleton staff trying to manage a cluster in a datacenter and
deal with outages etc.

I was just emailing to see if anyone out there had dipped their toes
in the water with EC2 and VoIP, which is ultimately in its infancy and
a risk - we may be the first.  Amazon are going to be better at this
stuff than most I feel.

Robert