[asterisk-users] zap not getting callerid any more

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Jul 15 07:51:03 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 22:31 +1000, Rob Hillis wrote:
> Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> > One thing I have noticed is that in the cases where the wildcard cannot
> > determine the CID (i.e. because the rxgain is up around 10.5), I get
> > this in my asterisk console:
> >
> > [Jul 15 08:04:09] NOTICE[26696]: chan_zap.c:6670 ss_thread: Got event 18 (Ring Begin)...
> >
> > And indeed, Asterisk seems to take longer to pass the call to the
> > destination extensions, exactly as if it's struggling to get the CID on
> > the analog line.
> >
> > Does that message from Asterisk mean anything to anyone?
>
> It means that Asterisk has detected that the line is ringing.

But I don't get that message when the rxgain is low enough for CID to
work, yet the line is still picked up by Asterisk, so Asterisk must
still be detecting the line ringing.  Why does it print that message
only when the rxgain is increased?

> The fact
> that Asterisk pauses after this indicates that it is waiting to receive
> caller ID information.

Indeed.

> The chances are that in boosting the receiving
> audio, you're causing the caller ID information to become distorted -
> enough so that Zaptel can no longer decode the caller ID properly.

Fair enough, but I'm only increasing to the magical values that are
supposed to be ideal for echo cancellation.  That seems to be a)
incompatible with caller-id and b) it's only when I increase it that
high do I get the "Got event 18 (Ring Begin)..." message.

Further to (a) above, my rxgain has been at 10.9 for a long time and
everything worked just fine and then one day the CID just stopped
working.  And further to that, a re-calibration to a milliwatt number
showed it was only out by 4 points.  Not very much it seems.

> X100 cards are notorious for problems.

Supposedly, yet.  But mine has been working peachy up until this "out of
the blue" incident.

> Unless you want to invest in a
> better card, you may just have to live with the problem.

Which means what, a multiport and multi-hundreds of dollar card?  I'm
just a home user.  I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on a single
piece of phone hardware.

I wonder how much using something like an SPA-3102 (with both an FXS and
FXO ports) eliminates these problems and brings reliability to the
table.

b.