[asterisk-users] MagicJack and Skype call quality

Julio Arruda jarruda-asterisk at jarruda.com
Sat Jul 12 09:54:07 CDT 2008

Jason Aarons (US) wrote:
> My understanding is Skype's secret is using the iLBC codec, which Cisco
> has also licensed for their 79X2 models as well.  I travel and lot and
> in places where Yahoo Phone Out or MSN Phone or Cisco IP Communicator
> will fail the Skype client will work.  The iLBC codec can really handle
> packet loss.

AFAIK, not iLBC, but another GIPS codec.
ILBC is present in some grandstream phones from what I remember, not in
the Cisco 7912 as one example, not sure about other phones.
In a word with still many PSTN gateways out there that don't support it,
ILBC in the SIP UA side only can help that much :-)..

> Skype High Quality Video with the Logitech Orbit AF on both ends is
> awesome. I got my family a set for Fathers day. Just amazing video
> quality. Uses a On2 VP-7 codec that has much lower cpu and other
> benefits over h.264.

>>> samples/second. I think the ones on the TDM400P type cards can. Some