[asterisk-users] Sipura 3000 replacement ---> SPA3102 how reliable is it?

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Sat Jul 12 04:23:15 CDT 2008

Hans Witvliet wrote:
> There's not much that can stand lightning (not just a direct hit), so
> you cant't blame the sipura box for that.
> Even when it was build, using a Faraday-cage with double insulation with
> optocouplers, the amount of energy picked up by a 3 km line is beyond
> commercial engineerd products.

So I've found out.

We moved here exactly a year ago. Up until April everything was OK,
That's after I forced the telco to virtually recable the whole run, (a
neighbour likes to take pot shots at road signs etc. they actually found
pellets in the cable)

April we had a sequence of very violent thunderstorms, the first took
out a Sipura 3102, a Linksys 8 port switch and the POE etc of an Aastra
9133i. The shock was so strong it caused the cutout at the meter to drop
out, that's 200mtrs away.

Exactly one week later a repeat performance, but this time I'd not
replaced the Aastra.

The third time I woke up to an enormous crash of thunder to see that the
power had gone again, I was at the door of the office when the second
strike occurred and actually saw the flash as the remaining SPA3000 I
had grilled.

When the electrician inspected the circuits the next day he told me the
previous occupants had lost telephones nearly every time there was a big
storm.  What is interesting is that crappy little handsets which take
their power from the phone line survive and an ADSL modem on the same
line has also survived.

Who said lightening never strikes twice.

DC