[asterisk-users] MagicJack quality

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Jul 11 17:49:38 CDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 18:28:09 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:

>I don't see Magicjack being around long.  The business model isn't
>sustainable without tons of ads, and even then, people will either
>ignore them if they are audio or if they are popups, they will simply
>close them or disable them.
>
>I might buy one just to hack it.  Has anyone sniffed it or poked
>around at all on lists?

Actually I get a steady stream of MJ traffic to my blog for a most
unexpected reason. There is an unofficial MJ forum. On that forum there
is a bunch of information about adapting the HP T5700 series thin
clients to achieve a dedicated host for MJ. That way people can keep
their MJ operational without leaving their PC on all the time.

I wrote a series of posts about using T5700s for a variety of tasks,
and the MJ forum points to those posts. The people on the forums have
come up with hacks to the XPe OS to insert the MJ drivers and other
utilities. There's even one guy selling mod'ed thin clients for those
who lack the DIY desire or skills.

Her'sa link:
http://unofficialmagicjack.forum2u.org/hp-thin-client-modifications-upgr
ades-for-magicjack-t1493.html

It's a pretty cool example of a community springing up around a
service.

Michael
--
Michael Graves