[asterisk-users] new install of asterisk appliance.

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 2 22:24:37 CDT 2008

The Asterisk appliance has it's place.  Once you understand the
restrictions and/or design limitations, it does it's job just fine.
After a few teething problems, it ran just fine.  Certainly for future
installs where there are a few PSTN lines, I'll be considering the
Asterisk appliance for the job.

Yes, I like the flexibility of modifying the dialplan directly, but for
smaller installs something like the Asterisk Appliance fits just fine
and isn't as much overkill of a full Asterisk install on a half-decent
server.  Problem is that the middle ground - Asterisk on a desktop
machine - isn't something I'd recommend to /anyone/.  The appliance
should handle up to 20 extensions without too much problem (I know they
say it'll do up to 50, but with the embedded processor it has, I find
that hard to believe) and for anything beyond that, it's worthwhile
dropping an extra few hundred for a decent low-end server.