[asterisk-users] new install of asterisk appliance.

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Wed Jul 2 21:39:15 CDT 2008

Yeah, it's a real pain in the proverbial.

Short version is that if you're not planning on using the LAN interface
for phones then you need to enable provisioning on the WAN interface,
allow access to the web interface from the WAN interface and configure
the provisioning URL with your WAN interface's IP address.

You /will/ need to use the WAN interface in order to be able to access
the appliance from any subnet other than the one you're directly
connected to since you can't set a default gateway that's on the LAN
interface (/don't/ try and configure the LAN and WAN interfaces to be
part of the same network - that's a guaranteed way to get the appliance
upset with you!)

I spent a good few hours on my first appliance tearing my hair out
trying to work this one through!  To make it easy on yourself, wherever
possible /always/ keep phones on the LAN interface - but that LAN
interface needs to be separate from your production LAN unless you're
planning on using the Asterisk appliance as your router.