[asterisk-users] Choppy audio

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Wed Jul 2 10:49:36 CDT 2008

Make the card stop sharing it's IRQ with your IDE controller.  Try
moving the card to another slot.

Asterisk has to send an audio packet every 20ms for VoIP calls.  I
believe Zaptel expects no more than a few ms of latency.  If something
is causing a delay, like the IDE controller locking interrupts and doing
disk activity then you're not going to get your interrupts serviced fast
enough and you will have audio issues.

Doug Crompton wrote:
> I am not sure who all see's this list but I do have a few questions that
> probably only the developers or somone really in the know of Asterisk
> could answer.
>
> - What is the requirement for timing vs. audio playback in Asterisk.
> Specifically voicemail and IVR's (Not meetme)
>
> - Has this requirment changed in newer versions?
>
> This obviously is when using Asterisk with no internal cards. I used
> Asterisk for several years with a P3 Linux system, NO timing, and it
> worked flawlessly. Now with this new Pentium Dual core system I do not
> have the perfect audio I experienced with the less powerful system.
>
> I fully know there are MANY variable here. It could be a combination of
> many things, including the OS (Linux Kernel) etc. BUT I offer this input,
> Music on Hold works fine. This uses mpg123. So why can this palyback fine
> and the other wav/gsm audio be choppy?
>
> I would gladly switch to a newer Asterisk (using 1.2.29) if someone said
> this was solved in that version.
>
> My system can obviously play (mpg123 - background) audio fine. Why then
> does Asterisk internal audio not also play well?
>
> Doug
>
> ****************************
> *  Doug Crompton	   *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> *  215-431-6307		   *
> * doug at crompton.com        *
> * http://www.crompton.com  *

Consulting for Asterisk, Polycom, Sangoma, Digium, Cisco, LAN, WAN, QoS,
T-1, PRI, Frame Relay, Linux, and network design.  Based near
Birmingham, AL.  Now accepting clients worldwide.