[asterisk-users] Choppy audio

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Jul 2 10:47:19 CDT 2008

I am not sure who all see's this list but I do have a few questions that
probably only the developers or somone really in the know of Asterisk
could answer.

- What is the requirement for timing vs. audio playback in Asterisk.
Specifically voicemail and IVR's (Not meetme)

- Has this requirment changed in newer versions?

This obviously is when using Asterisk with no internal cards. I used
Asterisk for several years with a P3 Linux system, NO timing, and it
worked flawlessly. Now with this new Pentium Dual core system I do not
have the perfect audio I experienced with the less powerful system.

I fully know there are MANY variable here. It could be a combination of
many things, including the OS (Linux Kernel) etc. BUT I offer this input,
Music on Hold works fine. This uses mpg123. So why can this palyback fine
and the other wav/gsm audio be choppy?

I would gladly switch to a newer Asterisk (using 1.2.29) if someone said
this was solved in that version.

My system can obviously play (mpg123 - background) audio fine. Why then
does Asterisk internal audio not also play well?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *