[asterisk-users] Choppy audio

bkruse bkruse at digium.com
Tue Jul 1 17:24:44 CDT 2008

Doug Crompton wrote:
> I saw that bug. Most of my files are WAV though. Would it apply to them
> also?
>
> Doug
>
> On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Noah Miller wrote:
>

>> Hi Doug -
>>

>>> In my research it appears this often happens when using more than one
>>> processor. I am using a dual core Pentium.
>>>
>>> I guess my dilema here is which way to go. Clearly the audio is not
>>> working the way I would like it to and the way I came to expect from my
>>> old system. When playing messages it seems to get out of sync. Sometimes
>>> skipping ms's of audio. This seems to happen at about a 2-4 second rate.
>>>
>>> I believe that I have things setup to use the RTC as a timing device (see
>>> below) but that did not seem to change the problem. It may have made it
>>> better but not much.
>>>
>>> What are my choices? HW card?, Upgrade Asterisk?, ????
>>>
>> The symptoms don't sound exactly the same, but is it possible that
>> this is the GSM/GCC playback bug?
>>
>> http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?id=11243
>>

>> - Noah

> "Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
>  deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
>
> ****************************
> *  Doug Crompton	   *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> *  215-431-6307		   *
> *		  	   *
> * doug at crompton.com        *
> * http://www.crompton.com  *

I would recommend stopping asterisk (/etc/init.d/asterisk stop)
/etc/init.d/zaptel stop (unload all modules)
modprobe zaptel; modprobe ztdummy (in the case that you don't have
another card for a timing device)
/etc/init.d/asterisk start

If it is a relatively slow box, try getting the exact sound files you will
be playing back, if you have the space (make menuselect).

-bk