[asterisk-users] Fax Between IAX Trunks

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Tue Jul 1 09:58:24 CDT 2008

Comments inline.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Alexander Lopez <Alex.Lopez at opsys.com> wrote:
> OK, there could be a few items here:
>

> 1                     Faxes usually do not work over straight IP. I know
> they can and many including myself have had success the mechanics of the IP
> network usually won't allow it.

On the same LAN it should work OK, using a dedicated NIC and a
crossover cable to the HylaFax server is the best way if possible.

> 2                     If you are using anything other than a/u law forget
> it.

I use SLIN

> 3                     What is the connectivity between the Asterisk boxes?
> If they are plugged into the same private backbone (ie Same Ethernet
> network) you have a fighting chance. If not, it is up to the Gods of Network
> congestion.

True.  Again, a direct connection to the fax server via crossover
cable is the best method.

> 4                     You may want to read up on the IAXModem pages, Mr,
> Underwood, explains the use of IAXModem and gives a few pointers on useing
> the IAXModem to terminal/originate calls on the same machine that has the
> TDM circuits and use remote serial to bring the fax data back to the hylafax
> machine.

I think his is the root of the problem.  Not understanding how
IAXmodem works with HylaFax.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro