[asterisk-users] Choppy audio

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Jul 1 10:14:48 CDT 2008

As an addendum to my original message...

In my research it appears this often happens when using more than one
processor. I am using a dual core Pentium.

I guess my dilema here is which way to go. Clearly the audio is not
working the way I would like it to and the way I came to expect from my
old system. When playing messages it seems to get out of sync. Sometimes
skipping ms's of audio. This seems to happen at about a 2-4 second rate.

I believe that I have things setup to use the RTC as a timing device (see
below) but that did not seem to change the problem. It may have made it
better but not much.

What are my choices? HW card?, Upgrade Asterisk?, ????

Doug

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008, Doug Crompton wrote:

> Using  1.2.29 on Linux version 2.6.18.8-0.3 (SUSE 10.2) Intel 686 dual
> core.
>
> I just switched over to this system from an older SUSE 2.4.10 kernel
> system.
>
> I am getting choppy audio in voicemail and general message playback.
>
> I installed Zaptel and ztdummy module and the following is zaptel status:
>
> slate:/etc/init.d # cat /proc/zaptel/1
> Span 1: ZTDUMMY/1 "ZTDUMMY/1 (source: RTC) 1"
>
> Is this indicating proper installation? Is there anything else I should
> try/do??
>
> The choppyness is not extreme, just not perfect. I had no problem in my
> old system with 2.4. I had not even installed zaptel or ztdummy there.
>
> Doug
>
> ****************************
> *  Doug Crompton	   *
> *  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
> *  215-431-6307		   *
> *		  	   *
> * doug at crompton.com        *
> * http://www.crompton.com  *

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *