[asterisk-users] Discover Asterisk 1.4 :: Jitterbug, no, Jitterbuffers

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Jan 31 22:05:53 CST 2008

Johansson Olle E wrote:
> In my series of articles about Asterisk 1.4, I've now arrived to the
> new jitter buffer
> that enhances voice quality for those of you using Asterisk as a PSTN
> gateway.
>
> Please read
> http://www.voip-forum.com/category/asterisk/asterisk14/

I wrote a patch that lets you use the jitterbuffer in Asterisk 1.4 for
more than just PSTN gateway functionality.  Originally, there was no way
to use it when connecting to Asterisk applications that did not create
outbound channels and bridge calls (basically only Dial and Queue).

This is actually still the case, but what I did was add support for
using the jitterbuffer when you are bridged to a Local channel.  That
way, you can use it when connected to Voicemail, Meetme, or whatever
else you want.

See this post for more information:

http://www.russellbryant.net/blog/index.php/2007/10/09/asterisk-jitterbuffer-support-for-applications/

--