[asterisk-users] Analog Adapters ?

Jay Milk ast-users at skimmilk.net
Thu Jan 31 20:48:56 CST 2008

Barry L. Kline wrote:
>> He however is wanting something that connects using both SIP to the
>> server and PSTN.  But his request does not stop there.  He wants to be
>> able to choose on the fly which "SIP or PSTN" connection he utilizes for
>> any given outbound call the user makes.  Basically, analog adapter
>> connects to both voip pbx via sip, and PSTN.  Analog phone connects to
>> analog adapter.  User picks up phone and could ideally press say 8 to
>> make a call over the voip service or 9 to make a call over the attached
>> PSTN.
>>
>> Sounds simple enough.  And I know they do make adapters that connect to
>> both a sip voip service and to the PSTN via a FXS port.  Something like
>> the Linksys SPA3102.
>>

> The SPA3102 will do that.  It has "dialplan functionality" which will
> allow you to configure it the way you requested:  8 for VoIP, 9 for PSTN
> calls.
>
> Barry
I second that suggestion.  I had a spare SPA3000 that I configured at
the neighbor's house.  Calls to my number and certain international
destinations are routed through VOIP transparently.  If you deploy this
in a residential setting, I suggest picking out ONLY 9+ calls for VOIP
and leaving 7 and 11-digit dialing alone.  And BE VERY SURE that 911
calls will go through PSTN and promptly.  And 9911 too, while you're at it.