[asterisk-users] Bunch of set-up/usage questions (SLA, MWI, SMS proxy's, crypto, Fax, etc)

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Thu Jan 31 12:45:50 CST 2008

Howdy,

Excuse the neophyte questions...  I was wondering:

(1) what's involved in setting up a call with encrypted media (I'm on a
cable network and don't want my calls snooped);

(2) is there a cheat-sheet for configuring Sipura handsets/hardphones
like the SPA-942, and in particular for message-waiting indicator and
shared-line appearances?

(3) my PSTN service provider that I have SIP trunking to doesn't provide
SMS service (yet or possibly ever)--is there a way to shop-out SMS for
my associated numbers from someone else?  I eventually hope to have a
cell phone with dataplan only that I then do SIP-over-UMTS (like a Nokia
E70 or E61i, for instance)... if I'm moving towards having a single
number, then I figure text messaging should work regardless of the
device I'm using (softphone on a laptop, VoWifi handset, or POE
hardphone).  Any service/any device, right?  That's what it's all about.

(4) I have an HP all-in-one officejet and a SPA-2000 (or is it an
unlocked PAP2-NA?) that I can use for fax service, but was wondering if
I could use my Asterisk box (it's a 400MHz Geode LX) as a fax server
without too much impact.

Thanks,

-Philip