[asterisk-users] POE draw on Aastra 480i

Drew Gibson drew at oanda.com
Wed Jan 30 09:09:52 CST 2008

Octavio Ruiz wrote:
>>> Allen Casteran wrote:
>>> Anyone know what the POE draw is for the Aastra 480i phones?
>>> We have switches that will do 15 watts on 12 ports but only do 7.7 watts on all 24 ports.
>>> A Cisco 3560 switch will do 15.6 watts on all 24 ports.
>>> Just trying to find out if we need that much power.
>>>

>> Drew wrote:
>> According to Aastra tech support, 5 watts (peak) per 480i.
>> We are testing five phones running on a Linksys SRW208P that will only support full 15W on up to
>> 4 of 8 ports. I can power up the switch while all phones are connected without any issues.
>> I would expect your lower power switch will provide ample power.
>>

> But, PoE class does not matter? Did you plug five Aastra phones?
>
> I'm suspicious about how that scenario worked, I mean, as far as i
> know Aastra phones should register as a zero PoE class, that means it
> would reserve up to 12.94 watts no matter how many watts uses.  So, my
> guess here is even if the phone use only 5 watts, the switch already
> reserved 12.94 watts for it. I would love to see what happens if you
> plug a sixth phone or figure out if you used an Aastra phone. Can you
> tell us what model/brand you used?
>
> Dimensioning PoE devices over capable switches has been a new issue
> which involves many factors like those described before.
>
> Regards,
>

> PD. Sorry about  the original thread break off, I've been unable to
> find the original one.

Hi Octavio,

We are using Aastra 480i phones powered by PoE.  During the testing we
decided to drop the Linksys SRW208P as it is extremely noisy due to the
fans, not suitable for an office environment. We continued testing with
Netgear FS116P switches. These have 8 PoE ports plus 8 non-powered
ports. Completely silent, no fans. Our testing was done with 5 phones
per switch as our call centre is laid out in "pods" with 5 seats per pod
and will not require more devices powered by PoE.

I did not look into the issues of PoE class as there were no problems
meeting our requirements with the equipment we had. Perhaps the Cisco
switches are more particular about PoE class, they are much more complex
devices. I like Cisco gear, they make good products but they tend to be
over-featured and over-priced for many applications.

We have had 5 of the Netgear switches in production for almost a year
now, each powering 5 Aastra 480i phones without any issues whatsoever.

regards,

Drew

--
Drew Gibson