[asterisk-users] POE draw on Aastra 480i

Octavio Ruiz tacvbo at tacvbo.net
Tue Jan 29 12:59:44 CST 2008

> > Allen Casteran wrote:
> > Anyone know what the POE draw is for the Aastra 480i phones?
> > We have switches that will do 15 watts on 12 ports but only do 7.7 watts on all 24 ports.
> > A Cisco 3560 switch will do 15.6 watts on all 24 ports.
> > Just trying to find out if we need that much power.

> Drew wrote:
> According to Aastra tech support, 5 watts (peak) per 480i.
> We are testing five phones running on a Linksys SRW208P that will only support full 15W on up to
> 4 of 8 ports. I can power up the switch while all phones are connected without any issues.
> I would expect your lower power switch will provide ample power.

But, PoE class does not matter? Did you plug five Aastra phones?

I'm suspicious about how that scenario worked, I mean, as far as i
know Aastra phones should register as a zero PoE class, that means it
would reserve up to 12.94 watts no matter how many watts uses.  So, my
guess here is even if the phone use only 5 watts, the switch already
reserved 12.94 watts for it. I would love to see what happens if you
plug a sixth phone or figure out if you used an Aastra phone. Can you
tell us what model/brand you used?

Dimensioning PoE devices over capable switches has been a new issue
which involves many factors like those described before.

Regards,

PD. Sorry about  the original thread break off, I've been unable to
find the original one.
--
Octavio H. Ruiz Cervera
Neocenter, SA. de CV.