[asterisk-users] Maybe a little OT---USB Handset

John Millican jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com
Sun Jan 27 11:14:25 CST 2008

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:27:16AM -0500, John Millican wrote:
>> Hello All,
>> This may be a little OT for the list but it seems to be to be the place
>> to get the best answer. I have looked at the many Skype/Yahoo phones out
>> there and none seem to be what I am looking for.
>> I have a need for a USB handset that I can use with an Asterisk server.
>
> A USB handset is basically a sound device (and not a great one, usually)
> along with a small keyboard. Linux will usually easily identify the
> sound device and you can use the phone as chan_{oss,alsa,console}.
>
> Using the keyboard in it may be trickier.
>
> Do any of the above support cancelling acustic echo? Is it actually
> needed in this case?

Tzafrir,
Thanks for the reply. Acusitic echo cancel may not be needed as this
will not be used in a noisy work place, only in possibly quieter home
environments.  There will also be no need for speaker phone operation.
Enabling the keypad is definitely the tricky part. I am trying to avoid
how to use one (mostly NON-technical types).  If the set looks and feels
like a phone they will be OK on their own.  I guess I may have to go
with a decent, hopefully inexpensive, basic IP desk phone.